Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What the f*ck? on the streets of Bishkek: part 2. How it was and what it is..

While writing the first post about the street art in Bishkek, I found that people who make such amazing works on the streets are not only talented and creative, but also very ambitious and single-hearted.

Denis Kapkanec, hero of my first post about street art, gave me interesting interview about the beginning of his way, the whole vision of this stream in Kyrgyzstan and his plans about art. Also he provided unique photos of his works which are almost lost because of dust, dirt and cleaning works.



What is street art in Bishkek, what are its characteristics, the development and the vision of it from the outside?

 Denis: Unfortunately, street art in Bishkek was not even born. There were not appeared any recognizable image for all the time. All those who invested in the development of spray on different pictures, and those who tried to swing a line, were quickly finished for different reasons. Although there is important moment of understanding of this phenomenon. For example, for me street art is killing the space. It is when you go and do whatever you want on the surface you are interested in. But anyway it became boring when you do it always alone and do not feel any support.




Why and when did you start making posters and what were they? What was their purpose and meaning?

Denis: There were no drugs when I started make posters, and it is in vain. So, I have started in the years when it was supposed to suffer from all sorts of feelings and the hardships of relationships. I suffered from nonreciprocal love about three weeks, then.... I decided to die in the war, of course, not a real one! 



Then I began to draw labels, using markers and self-adhesive. I preferred to make pictures with a disposable plot, such as a human hand which catches an arrow or some strange and provocative faces. 
Then I disliked a favorite topic of the public of this city (for reviews on all kinds of forums) - things regarding to social problems or calls to anything. I think this is nonsense, because who needs to get up will somehow come to what is necessary. Forcibly "open the eyes" is not what is need, as they say "push the incident."

 
 
Why did you stop doing your activities, and when you are going to do it again? Do you do something like street art now? 

Denis: I fimished making street art because we have a city that becomes more and more poor - buildings made with terrible abhorrent materials, and all are in nasty advertising. I can not compete with that, and even disdain)))
So, generally, I will continue doing street art later and in another city.. For more than a year I do another interesting work, for which I also get income, so it means that my self-realization does not require as much blood now as before. Yes, and also I am no longer suffering from love, so in order to continue doing street art I probably need to come up with a sad excuse again)))


Above and below are Denis's works from his personal photo-archive:








2 comments:

  1. Люблю стрит арт, всегда цепляет глаз своей необычностью.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, street art in Bishkek has not grew up to the proper level..

      Delete